BioCurate has further refined its formal, rigorous process for project review and investment decision-making that takes advantage of international industry contacts, ‘in-house’ expertise, and specialist consultants, while maintaining ongoing and effective two-way communication with researchers and University Innovation teams.
The focus at each stage of review is summarised as follows:
- Initial screening – Projects are submitted to BioCurate in a twice-yearly BioCurate Opportunity Assessment (BOA) process and are reviewed for medical need and commercial attractiveness. Feedback is provided to researchers to help them understand the potential for impact (e.g., does their project address an unmet medical need?) and risk (e.g., do they have a validated target?). For high-potential BOAs that may arise outside the formal intake periods, a special ‘ad hoc’ screening will be arranged.
- Expressions of Interest (EOI) – Projects deemed medically sound and commercially attractive are shortlisted and a full Expression of Interest submitted (by researchers and University BD/TTOs working together).
- Tier 1 Review – Once EOIs are submitted, BioCurate and relevant consultants conduct a ‘deep dive’ into the science and commercial potential, inclusive of regulatory and clinical development path.
- Tier 2 Review – With a verified link between the target and human disease, evaluation and planning for new therapeutic development occurs.
- Tier 3 Review(s) – Evaluate data with selected international industry experts; plan for international standard (“IND-ready”) preclinical package.
BioCurate has developed a number of linkages with key global biopharmaceutical companies. This is in addition to the established networks individual staff members have brought to the Company. These partnerships provide valuable advice and insight which can help guide research, giving projects the best opportunity to progress in the translation process and a potential investment pathway. Having access to such a breadth and depth of international talent is unique and unprecedented in Australia and is a resource that researchers are able to tap into via BioCurate.
BioCurate’s depth of global experience is unique within Australia. With decades of scientific and commercial experience, our team members have conducted best-practice drug development and translation across multiple geographies and therapeutic areas in both smaller start-ups (e.g. TetraLogic, Pionyr Immunotherapeutics, Epizyme) and global biopharmaceutical companies (e.g. Baxter, CSL, Amgen, Pfizer).
Our team has worked across disease areas such as oncology, neurobiology, dermatology, cardiovascular disease, immune oncology, respiratory and more dermatology in Australia, Asia, Europe and North America, and has first-hand experience of the translation journey from discovery to approval. These skills go beyond the scientific, with members of the BioCurate team possessing expertise in clinical development, medical affairs, marketing authorisation, and intellectual property (IP) and lifecycle management.
We are here to help, provide advice and insight, and foster collaborations between you and potential industry partners.
For more information, visit Our Team page.